Creamy Turnip and Parsnip Soup
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-1/4cup chopped yellow onions
- 1-1/2cup chopped parsnips
- 3tablespoons minced celery
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 4-6sprigs fresh thyme, tied together in a bundle
- 2pounds turnips, peeled and diced
- 3cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1cup vegetable stock or canned, low sodium vegetable broth
- 1-1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2cup heavy cream, optional
- -- sour cream, for garnish
- -- chopped, fresh chives, for garnish
- -- parsnip chips, recipe as follows, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat, add the onions, parsnip and celery. Cook until vegetables are lightly caramelized around the edges, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme bundle and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the turnips, stocks, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so that the soup just simmers, and cook until turnips are very tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the thyme bundle and add the heavy cream, if desired.
- Using an immersion blender, (or in batches in a blender), puree the soup until very smooth.
- Rewarm if necessary, then serve in small bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and a pinch of chives and the parsnip chips.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, copyright MSLO, Inc., all rights reserved