Curried Chicken Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
Fragrantly spiced, studded with sweet red grapes and crunchy celery slices, and served on a bed of romaine, this chicken salad is sure to dazzle guests.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/4cup light mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2teaspoons curry powder
- 1teaspoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4cups seedless red grapes, each cut in half
- 2stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 bag cut up hearts of romaine
- Place chicken breasts in deep 12-inch skillet.
- Add onion quarters, ¼ teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover chicken; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Remove skillet from heat; cover and let chicken sit in poaching liquid 20 minutes or until chicken loses pink color throughout.Instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into thickest part of breast should register 165°F. Transfer chicken to cutting board; cool until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, curry powder, ginger, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt until blended. Stir in grapes and celery.
- Cut chicken into ½-inch chunks and add to mixture in bowl; toss to coat. Serve salad right away, or cover and refrigerate to serve chilled. Spoon chicken salad onto romaine to serve.
Reprinted with permission from 400 Calorie Series: Chicken by Good Housekeeping. Hearst, 2013.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 315
- Fat 8 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 104 mg
- Sodium 455 mg
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 42 g