Curried Sweet Potatoes with Chard & Chickpeas
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 3cloves garlic, minced
- 2large sweet potatoes or 4 medium garnet yams, peeled and cut into large dice
- Onecans (16- to 20-ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Onecans (16-ounce) diced tomatoes (such as fire-roasted, a particularly flavorful variety)
- 2-- scallions, thinly sliced
- 2teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or more, to taste
- 2teaspoons minced fresh ginger, more or less to taste
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 to 12ounces chard, any variety, or a combination of chard and beet greens
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro or parsley, or more or less, to taste
- 1/4cup raisins, optional (but highly recommended)
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or a stir-fry pan. Add the garlic and saute over low heat until golden.
- Add the sweet potato dice and about 1 1⁄2 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, adding just enough additional water, if needed, keep the mixture moist as it cooks.
- Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, scallions, curry powder, ginger, and cumin and bring the mixture to a simmer again; cook over low heat for 10 minutes or so, until the tomatoes have been reduced to a sauce and the flavors have mingled.
Reprinted with permission from Wild About Greens © 2012 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photographs by Susan Voisin.