Devil's Food Cupcakes with Almond-Mocha Topping
- Yield: 2 dozen
When shopping for cake mix, read the Nutrition Facts labels and choose a product with 0 grams of trans fat. You can refrigerate any leftovers from this recipe for up to 48 hours or freeze them for later use. Keep the cupcakes, the sauce, and the whipped topping in separate airtight containers.
- -- Cooking spray
- 1box (18.25-ounce) devil's food cake mix
- 1-- (2.5-ounce) jar baby food pureed prunes
- 1cup strong coffee, or 1 cup water plus 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 3large egg whites
- 2tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 2-- (12-ounce) packages frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1 1/2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2teaspoons water
- 8ounces frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed in refrigerator
- 2/3cup sliced almonds, dry-roasted
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 325F, or as directed on the package. Lightly spray two 12-cup muffin pans with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cupcake ingredients. Follow the package directions for beating the batter and baking and cooling the cupcakes.
- For the sauce: In a medium saucepan, stir together the raspberries, sugar, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat. Let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Stir in the vanilla.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl, stir together the coffee granules and water until the coffee is dissolved. Fold in the whipped topping until well blended. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- For each serving: Spread 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons raspberry sauce on a dessert plate, top with a cupcake, spoon 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons whipped topping mixture over the cupcake, and sprinkle with about 1 1/2 teaspoons almonds.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 173
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 198mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 18g
- Protein 2g
- Trans Fat 0g