East Bay Style Rhode Island Jonnycakes
- Yield: 10 to 12 pieces
- 1cup stone-ground white cornmeal (or yellow, if white is not available)
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2cups whole or 2% reduced-fat milk
- -- Vegetable oil
- Combine cornmeal, salt and sugar in a medium bowl; gradually stir in milk until the mixture has a thin, pancake-batter consistency. (Thinner batter will produce cakes that are paper-thin and lacy; thicker batter will make cakes that look more like pancakes and have a meatier center.)
- Lightly grease a nonstick skillet with vegetable oil. Heat over medium-high heat. Surface is hot enough when water drops splashed on the surface dance.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons batter onto skillet for each pancake. (Stir batter between batches as it tends to separate). Cook until bubbles form on the surface, edges are dry and cooked side is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes; flip and cook reverse side 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve hot with butter, berries or maple syrup. Makes 10 to 12 medium-sized cakes.