Eat-Your-Plate Taco Salad with Black Beans and Grilled Corn
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2 1/2tablespoons olive oil
- 4 flour tortillas (8-inch), pricked all over with a fork
- Kosher salt
- 1tablespoon garlic powder
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 ears of corn, shucked and halved crosswise
- 2 to 3 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise, cored, and coarsely chopped (8 cups)
- 1cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved and lightly salted
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, cored, and cut into short, thin strips
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1can (15.5 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1cup grated pepper Jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
- For the dressing:
- 1/2cup reduced-fat sour cream, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2cup prepared salsa verde or tomato salsa, plus extra for serving
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F. Use 11⁄2 tablespoons of the oil to lightly brush both sides of the tortillas; sprinkle them with salt. Arrange directly on the oven rack and bake, turning once, until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side (use the tip of a knife to deflate any air pockets that may balloon during baking); set aside.
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon oil with the garlic powder, cumin, and oregano and rub onto the corn to evenly coat. Sprinkle generously with salt.
- Meanwhile preheat a gas grill with all burners on high for about 10 minutes. Use a wire brush to clean the grill rack, then use tongs to wipe a vegetable oil–soaked rag over it. Close the lid and return to temperature. When very hot, place the corn on the hot rack; cover and grill, turning as needed, until spotted with brown, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, black beans, and cheese in a large bowl. To make the dressing, stir together the sour cream and salsa. Add half the dressing to the salad and toss to coat. Heap a portion of salad onto each flour tortilla. Serve with ears of corn alongside. Garnish if you like with a little extra sour cream and serve with additional dressing alongside.
Reprinted with permission from Cook Without A Book: Meatless Meals © 2011 by Pam Anderson, Rodale, Inc. Available wherever books are sold.