Eggless Tofu Scramble
- Yield: 4 servings
This vegan breakfast is an excellent way to begin the day.
- 2tablespoons water
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 12 button mushrooms, stemmed and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes and drained for 30 minutes in a colander
- 2medium tomatoes, diced
- 1tablespoon avocado oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scallions, sliced, for garnish
- Heat a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- When hot, add the water, celery, and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tofu and tomatoes, stir well, and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, drizzle the oil evenly over the tofu, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring gently, until very hot, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving plate, and sprinkle the scallions evenly over the top. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Dr. Mao’s Secrets of Longevity Cookbook: Eating for Health, Happiness, and Long Life by Maoshing Ni. Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2013.