Ember-Roasted Salt Potatoes with Scallion Cream
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2pounds new potatoes (red or white)
- 1/4cup kosher salt
- 1/2bunch scallions, trimmed
- 1cup sour cream
- Place the potatoes in a pan just large enough to hold them and provide a little headroom. Cover them with cold water and add the salt. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly.
- Set the potatoes in the embers of a dying fire and cover the grill. Cook until the skins are blistered and the potatoes are heated through, about 20 minutes. Remove them from the coals and brush off any ash. Cut them in half and arrange them on a platter.
- Combine the scallions and sour cream with a pinch of salt in a food processor. Purée until the mixture is smooth. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary, but consider the salt content of the potatoes!
- Serve the potatoes either warm or at room temperature with the sour cream sauce.
Reprinted with permission from Where There’s Smoke © 2013 by Barton Seaver, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.