Exotic Shrimp Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 1/2cups chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1cup chopped onion
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 4cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2cups peeled, chopped sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2cup chopped zucchini
- 1pound medium peeled shrimp
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1teaspoon cocnut extract
- 1/2cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1cup frozen corn
- -- Salt and pepper
- Coat large nonstick pot with nonstick cooking spray. Sauté tomatoes, onion, garlic until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add broth, sweet potatoes, zucchini, bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp, oregano, chili powder, coconut extract, pineapple juice.
- Cook over low heat until sweet potatoes are tender and shrimp are almost done. Add corn, continue to cook 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Makes 8 cups.
Note: Chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder. The chipotle adds a smoky flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 150
- Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 84mg
- Sodium 315mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 12g
- Protein 12g