Fall Harvest Fruit Butter
- Yield: 6 to 8 cups
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 600 mins
- 6whole pears; peeled, cored, chopped
- 4whole apples; peeled, cored, chopped
- 2cups pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
- 2whole lemons, juiced (discard peels)
- 1/2cup brown sugar, packed
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon allspice
- 1/2teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Prop the lid open by placing the thin edge of a wooden spoon handle lengthwise across the crock. This will allow the liquid to evaporate. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, until most of the liquid has evaoprated. If you need to evaporate more liquid, switch the slow cooker to high, leave the lid propped up, and cook for 1 to 2 hours longer.
Puree the mixture in batches using an immersion blender or countertop blender. Let cool completely.
Transfer to freezer bags or special freezer containers for preserves. Store in freezer for 3 to 4 months.
Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester (c) 2011 Fair Winds Press