Farmer’s Cheese with Plum Preserves
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2quarts whole milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed and strained lemon juice
- 2cups buttermilk
- 1tablespoon whipping cream (optional)
- 3/4cup plum preserves or other favorite jam
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk and stir in the salt. Just as it begins to bubble on the sides, remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and buttermilk. The curds and whey will begin to separate. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the mixture is resting, line a colander with a clean dishcloth or double layer or cheesecloth. Place the colander over a bowl, making sure there is room in the bowl for the whey to collect. Pour the curds into the colander and let drain for about 30 minutes. Discard the whey. Wrap the edges of the cloth up around the curds and tie off with kitchen twine. Let the cheese drain, keeping the bundle in the cheesecloth for 1 hour or longer for a firmer cheese. The cheese will have the texture of crumbly cottage cheese, a little bit drier.
- For a softer, creamier cheese, transfer the fromage blanc to a bowl and gently stir in the whipping cream, if using.
- To serve, spoon ½ cup of the cheese into a bowl and top with 2 tablespoons of the plum preserves.
From Paris to Provence: Childhood Memories of Food & France by Ethel Brennan and Sara Remington/Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC