Feel Your Oats Burgers
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4cups water
- 1/4cup low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1cup chopped onions
- 1-- rib celery, chopped
- 1tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/4cup chopped walnuts
- 2teaspoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 4 1/2cups rolled oats
- Place the water, soy sauce or tamari, onions, celery, herbs, walnuts and yeast, if using, in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 4 minutes and then add oats. Stirring constantly, simmer 5 minutes until the mixture is the consistency of really thick wet sand.
- Scoop the mixture into an 11-by-7-inch baking pan; pat the mixture until it is spread evenly.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place the uncovered pan in the center of the oven and bake about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and cool slightly. Keep oven set to 375F.
- With a spatula, cut oat mixture into rectangular burgers. Remove burgers to a baking pan with sides and bake another 10 minutes until crisp.
NOTE: Nutritional yeast is available at natural food stores.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 152
- Fat 4g
- Saturated Fat .5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 181mg
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 6g