Florentine Tuna Panini
- Yield: 2 servings
If tuna canned in olive oil is not available, replace it with 1 (6-ounce) can solid light tuna in water, drained, and add with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Or, try this recipe with salmon instead of the tuna.
- 2-- round or oval crusty Italian sandwich rolls
- -- Olive oil (optional)
- 1can (6-ounce) solid light tuna packed in olive oil, undrained (see note)
- 2tablespoons minced red onion
- 2tablespoons minced celery
- 1tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and minced
- 1tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- -- Red pepper flakes
- -- Baby spinach leaves
- Slice rolls in half through middle. Pick out some of bread from top and bottom halves to create a slight depression. Place roll bottoms on a platter. Brush insides lightly with oil, if using.
- Combine tuna, onion, celery, capers, juice and a pinch of pepper flakes; mix well. Spoon onto reserved roll bottoms. Cover with spinach and roll tops. Top with a bacon press or another platter with some heavy canned goods placed on top. Let stand 15 minutes for flavors to blend.
Recipe by Sharon Sanders