- Yield: 6 servings
- -- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- -- 1 large whole egg
- -- 1 large egg white
- -- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- -- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- -- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- -- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- -- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- -- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- -- 2 tbsp sugar
1. Combine the buttermilk, whole egg, egg white, and oil in a large bowl.
2. Combine the flours, cornmeal, rolled oats, baking powder, and sugar in a separate bowl.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until moistened.
4. Preheat the waffle iron to medium-high. Lightly spray it with vegetable oil. Pour about ¾ cup of the batter onto the waffle iron and cook until the waffles are crisp, golden, and cooked through, 3 to 6 minutes per waffle.
*If you don’t have buttermilk, you can sour regular milk by adding 1 tablespoon of either lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of warmed milk. Let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes before using.
From Healthy Cooking: At Home With the Culinary Institute of America; Wiley 2010