French Onion Soup from Holly Clegg
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 6cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2pound sliced baby protabellas
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 4-- garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1/4cup sherry
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6cups beef broth
- 1cup white wine or cooking wine
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8-- (1/2-inch thick) slices Frech bread, toasted
- 1cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large nonstick pot, heat olive oil and sauté onions and portabellas on medium heat, stirring, until onions are golden and very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add sugar and garlic; continue cooking 15 to 20 minutes more, stirring. Add sherry, stirring to loosen any brown bits from pot.
- Add mustard, thyme, and flour, and stir 1 minute. Add broth and wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook 20 to 30 minutes longer. Season to taste.
- In bowl, ladle hot soup, top with bread and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Microwave or broil (in oven-proof bowl) until cheese melts. Makes about 8 cups.
Spicy Advice: The baby portabellas give the soup a rich earthy flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle at Any Age (2010).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 242
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 12mg
- Sodium 720mg
- Carbohydrate 27g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 11g