French Toast with Orange-Strawberry Sauce
- Yield: servings
Serves 2; 2 slices toast, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sauce, and 1/4 cup yogurt per serving Preparation time: 5 minutes Always a favorite, French toast is topped with sweet strawberries, citrusy sauce, and creamy yogurt.
- 1cup egg substitute
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4slices light whole-wheat bread
- 1teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 1/4teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/3cup fresh orange juice
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon cornstarch
- 1cup whole medium strawberries, quartered
- 1 (6-ounce) container fat-free vanilla yogurt
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together the egg substitute and vanilla. Dip each bread slice in the mixture, coating both sides. Let any excess drip off. Set aside on a plate.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bread for 4 minutes, on each side, or until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the orange zest, orange juice, sugar, and cornstarch, stirring until the cornstarch is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Just before serving, stir the strawberries into the orange sauce until coated. Spoon over the bread. Top with the yogurt.