Fruity Couscous Salad
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 2cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 2cups couscous
- 1/2cup dried tart cherries or dried cranberries
- 2/3cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1cup chopped unpeeled cucumber
- 1bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted, optional
- 3tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- -- Salt and pepper
- Bring broth to boil in medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Uncover; let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked couscous, dried fruit, carrots, cucumber, green onions and pine nuts in large bowl; mix well.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil and mustard in small bowl; mix well. Pourover couscous mixture; mix well. Season to taste. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg and Gerald Miletello’s Eating Well Through Cancer: Easy Recipes & Recommendations During and After Treatment (2001).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 144
- Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 141mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 5g