- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1small carrot, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-- celery stalk, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-- garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1-- (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/2cup cooked bulgur or brown rice
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoons curry powder
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground coriander or cardamom
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup potato flour
- -- Vegetable oil spray
- Toast sesame seeds in a dry skillet until they begin to pop and become fragrant. Grind in a food processor or blender then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Chop beans in a food processor, using an on/off pulsing action, or by hand using a potato masher. Leave some chunks. Add to vegetable mixture, along with bulgur or brown rice, soy sauce, curry powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in enough potato flour to form a stiff dough. Knead 30 seconds, then form into 6 patties.
- Lightly spray a nonstick skillet with vegetable oil spray. Cook patties over medium heat until first side is lightly browned, then flip and cook second side until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
Recipe from The Survivor's Handbook: Eating Right for Cancer Survival.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 130
- Fat 3.2g
- Saturated Fat 0.4g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Carbohydrate 21g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 1.3g
- Protein 6g