Giada’s Turkey, Kale, and Brown Rice Soup
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5large shallots, peeled and chopped
- 3medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8ounces ground white turkey meat
- 1tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 5cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1can (15-ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1cup cooked brown rice
- 1small bunch kale, center ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped (4 packed cups)
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, carrots and bell pepper and sauté, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown and soften, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Add turkey and stir until the meat turns white and begins to color very slightly around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the herbes de Provence and stir for 1 minute.
3. Add broth, diced tomatoes and rice; bring to a boil. Stir in kale and season with 3⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and the black pepper.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Season with remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt. 5. Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Reprinted from Giada’s Feel Good Food. Copyright © 2013 by Giada De Laurentiis. Photographs copyright © 2013 by Amy Neunsinger. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House LLC.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 361
- Fat 12 g
- Sodium 627 mg
- Fiber 6 g
- Protein 24 g