U.S. Apple Association
- 1pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2medium apples, cored and sliced
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 4-- green onions, sliced
- 1/3pound pea pods
- 1small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 2tablespoons ginger, minced
- 10-- shiitake and/or white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/3cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3cup chicken broth or water
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
Heat sesame oil in nonstick skillet or wok. Add garlic and ginger, and stir for approximately 30 seconds.
Add chicken and cook in hot oil. Remove chicken from skillet.
Add vegetables and cook while stirring until tender crisp, sprinkle with pepper.
Combine applesauce, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and chicken broth or water.
Add chicken to vegetables, add sauce mixture and cook until sauce is thickened and clear.
Add apples during last five minutes of preparation. Serve over steamed brown rice.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 580mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 28g