Gluten & Dairy Free Tiramisu
- 3large egg yolks
- 3large egg whites
- 5tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons dark rum
- 1cup coconut cream, cooled in the fridge **
- 1pinch salt
- 2packages Schar Gluten-Free Lady Fingers
- 2cups room-temp Americano (espresso with water), or very strong flavoured coffee
- 1/8cup cocoa powder for dusting
- 1 bar of dark chocolate for shaving
** How to get coconut cream: Flip a can of full fat coconut milk (must be full fat, otherwise you won’t get coconut cream) upside down, and place in the fridge for several hours to firm. Remove the can from the fridge and open the can the right side up. Pour the coconut milk liquid away, and you will be left with thick coconut cream at the bottom.
- Separate the eggs into yolks and whites (egg whites keep in a small bowl on the side). In a stand mixer, or with electric beaters, beat the egg yolks on medium high, adding in the sugar one tablespoon at a time. Add the rum, then add the coconut cream, one large spoonful at a time, until well incorporated. Turn off the beaters.
- In a large baking dish, pour the espresso into the pan and soak the ladyfingers. They should absorb the liquid so that they are soft, but not falling apart. I didn’t have espresso at my house, so I just ran to the local coffee shop and ordered two large iced Americanos to go!
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt on high, until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the egg yolk mixture. Place in the fridge while arranging the ladyfingers in the pan…
- In a deep, glass baking tray, approx. 9″x11″, neatly arrange the ladyfingers at the bottom. Don’t be afraid to break some pieces so that they fit snuggly together.
Elizabeth Minett is a dessert and fashion blogger, food photographer, and model who shares all-things-sweet and stylish at Haut Appetit. Follow her on Twitter at @hautappetit.