Gluten-Free Thumbprint Jam Cookies
- Yield: 2 dozens
- 2 1/2cups almond flour
- 1cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2cups Splenda or Stevia Extract in the Raw, or 3/4 cup New Roots Stevia Sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2cup salted butter or margarine, melted
- 4teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6tablespoons sugar-free jelly or jam
- Position 2 oven racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly mist 2 baking sheets with spray oil, or line them with parchment paper or silicone mats and then lightly mist the surfaces with spray oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt and whisk until well mixed. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, butter, and vanilla together. Add the flour mixture and stir with a large spoon for 1 to 2 minutes to make a stiff, playdough-like dough (see page 27).
- To form each cookie, scoop out 1 heaping tablespoon of dough and, using oiled hands, roll it into a ball, then press it gently between your palms to flatten it slightly. Place the cookies on the prepared pans, spacing them 3 inches apart. Press your thumb into the center of each cookie to make an indentation. Spoon ½ teaspoon of the jelly into each indentation.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then rotate the pans and switch racks and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden and firm to the touch.
- Immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the jam to cool.
Reprinted with permission from The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Peter Reinhart & Denene Wallace, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc. Purchase at amazon.com.
You must be logged in to post a comment.