Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Without Refined Sugar
- Chocolate Cake
- 1/2cup melted coconut oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4cup coconut flour
- 3/4cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4cup raw coconut palm sugar
- 2teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 1cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2tablespoons raw honey
- 2 (15-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
- 4tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/4cup cocoa powder
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- coconut flakes
- mint leaves
- strawberries, sliced
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 6-inch springform cake pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao powder, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, and honey.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely, then cut it horizontally in half.
- To make the frosting: Spoon off only the cream from the cans of coconut milk.
- Whisk it and the maple syrup or coconut sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt together until smooth. Refrigerate until you’re ready to frost and serve the cake.
- Put the bottom layer of cake on a plate. Spread a layer of frosting on it. Top with the other half of the cake, finish frosting, and garnish.
Images reproduced by permission of Kyle Books from Go with Your Gut: The Insider’s Guide to Banishing the Bloat with 75 Digestion-Friendly Recipes by Robyn Youkilis. ©2016 by Ellen Silverman. All rights reserved.