Goji Berry Toasted Coconut Cupcakes
Enjoy the health benefits of the goji berry in cupcake form!
- For the cupcakes
- 2 tea bags goji berry green tea
- 3/4cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1cup cake flour (3/4 cup flour + 1/4 cup cornstarch)
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- 4tablespoons vegan butter-- softened
- 3/4cup dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2cup soy yogurt
- 1cup toasted unsweetened coconut divided
- For the frosting
- 3 1/2cups powdered sugar
- 2tablespoons vegan butter softened
- 3tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2cup freeze-dried goji berries finely ground into a powder
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat warm milk until steaming and add tea bags.
- Steep for 15 minutes and wring tea bags out then toss the used bags.
- Set milk aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl combine flours through salt- whisk.
- In a small saute pan over low-medium heat add coconut and toast until fragrant and pieces begin to turn golden brown- stir frequently, careful not to burn. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer cream butter & sugar.
- Add yogurt a 1/4 cup at a time until well mixed.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- On stir speed add the flour and milk to the sugar alternating between the flour & milk starting and ending with flour – careful not to over mix.
- Add a 1/2 cup of toasted coconut and mix until just combined.
- Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with liners.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter to each liner.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or when the top is touched there is a slight give.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
To make the icing
- Mix all ingredients in a stand mixer on medium – high speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Recipe courtesy of Heather Poire, the creator, recipe developer & photographer behind the blog Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes has a passion for sharing with the world how tasty and amazing vegan food can be with an emphasis on supporting local farms & businesses.