Good Morning Oatmeal
- Yield: 6 servings
We eat this breakfast to help control our blood pressure, improve the health of our arteries and to lower cholesterol. But it is also very delicious.—Gwen Swanson, Pukwana, SD.
- 1 1/2cups apple juice
- 1/2-- (6-ounce) package mixed dried fruit
- 1/3cup packed brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-- firm ripe pear, cored and chopped
- 2 1/2cups water
- 2 1/2cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3cups quick oats
- 2-- (6-ounce) containers nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2cup granola
- Combine juice, dried fruit, sugar, if using, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Add pears; cook, covered, 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid. Cool.
- Bring water and milk to a boil; add salt and oats. Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 minute; stir.
To serve, top each serving of oatmeal with fruit mixture, yogurt and granola.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 320
- Fat 6g
- Sodium 270mg
- Carbohydrate 58g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 11g