Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Mint Pepper Jelly
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
You can begin marinating the leg of lamb up to two days in advance.
- Mint Pepper Jelly:
- 1cup pepper jelly
- 1/4cup chopped fresh mint
- 3tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 1/2 to 5 pound) butterflied leg of lamb
- 8 garlic cloves, cut in half, smashed lightly with a knife blade
- 1/4cup fresh rosemary or 1 heaping tablespoon dried rosemary
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2cup dry red wine or Marsala
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Safflower oil or canola oil for oiling the grill
- To make jelly, combine all jelly ingredients; whisk until well blended. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use, up to 1 week.
- To prepare lamb, make about 8 small incisions on the fatty side of lamb and insert a garlic half and some rosemary into each slit. Rub lamb on both sides with olive oil, wine, remaining garlic and rosemary, mint, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate overnight or let stand 1 hour.
- Brush grill rack lightly with oil. Preheat grill. Remove lamb from marinade. When fire is medium-hot, place lamb on rack and cook 15 to 20 minutes per side, until temperature reaches 130F to 135F for medium rare or 140F to 145F for medium. Baste frequently with remaining marinade.
- Remove lamb from grill and let rest, lightly covered, 10 minutes before slicing. Carve into ¼-inch thick slices and serve with 1 tablespoon Mint Pepper Jelly per serving (You’ll have some jelly left over).
From Foster’s Market Cookbook by Sara Foster, copyright ©2002 by Sara Foster. Used by permission of Random House, Inc.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 6
- Calories 450
- Fat 20g
- Saturated Fat 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 145mg
- Sodium 430mg
- Potassium 640mg
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 47g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 6%
- Vitamin C 10%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 50%