Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apples
- Yield: 1 servings
We've updated the classic filling with sharp Cheddar and Gruyere cheese and thin slices of tart Granny Smith apples. Adventurous eaters can even add a smear of mustard for a zesty twist.
- 2slices whole-grain bread
- 1ounce sharp Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1ounce Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 2-- thin slices Granny Smith apple
- Preheat a panini press or skillet over medium heat.
- Lay slices of bread on a counter or cutting board. Place half the cheese on one slice. Layer the apples on top. Add the remaining cheese and top with the other slice of bread.
- Place on the panini press and close cover. Cook until golden and cheese is melted, about two minutes. Let cool for 1 minute, cut in half or into sticks and serve immediately.
Note: If cooking on the stovetop, add 2 teaspoons butter to preheated pan. When melted, place sandwich in pan, and cook until golden on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the sandwich, cook until golden on the other side, 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board.
Recipe by Jennifer Perillo.