Grilled Pears with Basil Sour Cream
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 Bosc or Bartlett pears, still firm
- 1 thumb-size knob fresh ginger, peeled and grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 2tablespoons Basil Oil
- Cut the pears into quarters, cut out the cores, and place the pieces in a medium bowl. Add the ginger, lemon juice, olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Reserving any marinade remaining in the bowl, grill the pears, cut side down, directly over the coals of a small fire infused with some apple-wood chips until the pears begin to char and the flesh softens, about 5 minutes. At this point, if they need more time to soften, rotate the grate so they are away from the fire, then cover the grill and cook another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, basil oil, and marinade from the pears in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and whisk to combine.
- Serve the pears either hot or at room temperature with a dollop of the cream on top of each piece.
Reprinted with permission from Where There’s Smoke © 2013 by Barton Seaver, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.