Grilled Romaine BLT Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3/4cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling the lettuce
- 1/2pound blue cheese, crumbled
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2pound thick-cut maple-smoked bacon
- 4small heads romaine lettuce
- 4medium locally grown tomatoes, sliced
1. Whisk together the ¾ cup oil, the cheese, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a glass bowl.
2. Place the bacon in a cold cast-iron skillet and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook the bacon until
crispy. Drain on a paper towel.
3. Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the outer leaves from the romaine and discard. Halve the heads
lengthwise. Brush with some extra virgin olive oil and grill for 2 minutes per side, until the romaine is
wilted and has grill marks.
4. To serve, place one romaine half on each plate. Drizzle with a small amount of the salad dressing.
Arrange 3 tomato slices over the lettuce. Crumble the bacon over each and dress with the remaining
dressing. Serve while the lettuce is warm.
From THE FIRE ISLAND COOKBOOK Copyright © 2012 by The World Wine Guys, LLC published by Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.