Grilled Shrimp with Watermelon and Feta
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings
- 16 raw jumbo shrimp
- 2 lemons
- 3cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 to 1teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/2 to 1teaspoons dried oregano
- 1small watermelon
- 1cup feta, crumbled
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1/4cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A good handful of Greek basil or mint leaves
- Put the shrimp into a large glass or ceramic bowl and add the juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon, garlic, crushed red pepper, oregano, and a good seasoning of salt and black pepper. Mix well, cover, and let marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- While the shrimp are marinating, cut the watermelon into chunks or slices and remove the skin. Arrange on a large platter, cover, and chill in the fridge.
- Preheat a grill or ridged grill pan on the stove over medium to high heat.
- Cook the shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and nicely charred.
- Arrange the shrimp over the chilled watermelon and scatter with the feta and scallions. Drizzle the olive oil over the whole dish, top with a flourish of Greek basil or mint, and serve with extra lemon to squeeze over.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Summer Berries & Autumn Fruits © 2016 by Annie Rigg, Kyle Books