- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4cup orange juice
- 2tablespoons tart dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 8cups mesclun or other baby lettuce
- 2-- medium apples, chopped
- 8ounces smoked or regular cooked turkey breast, cut into 1/2" pieces, or 6 ounces canned salmon, drained
- 1/2cup walnut halves or pieces
- 1/4cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4cup tart dried cherries or dried cranberries
THE DRIED FRUIT ADDS TEXTURE TO THE DRESSING AND FLAVOR TO THE SALAD. DRIED APRICOTS INSTEAD OF THE CHERRIES IN THE DRESSING AND SALAD WOULD ADD A BOOST OF BETA-CAROTENE.
1. TO make the dressing: Place the orange juice and dried cherries or cranberries in a microwaveable bowl. Heat until warm, about 30 seconds. Add the oil and vinegar. Blend or process until smooth but slightly chunky. Refrigerate.
2. TO make the salad: Toss the mesclun or lettuce, apples, turkey or salmon, walnuts, onion, blue cheese, and dried cherries or cranberries in a large bowl. Add the dressing.
Reprinted from 400 Calorie Fix by Liz Vaccariello with Mindy Hermann, RD, and the Editors of Prevention. Copyright (c) 2010 by Rodale Inc. By permission of Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 330
- Fat 15 g
- Saturated Fat 3 g
- Sodium 170 mg
- Carbohydrate 29 g
- Fiber 7 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calcium 10 %