- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2teaspoons butter
- 1large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3-- garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/2teaspoons turmeric
- 2teaspoons cumin seed
- 2teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1-- (14-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
- 6cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1-- (20-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 2large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4cup golden raisins
- 1/2pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-- zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-- unpeeled eggplant, coarsely chopped
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin, black pepper and red pepper; saute 3 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to a slow cooker, along with tomatoes, vegetable broth and salt. Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Add garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes, raisins, green beans, zucchini and eggplant. Continue cooking on high 1 1⁄2 hours or on low 2 to 3 hours, until vegetables are tender. Serve over couscous.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 383
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Carbohydrate 73g
- Fiber 14g
- Sugars 31g
- Protein 10g