Purple Potato Hash with Bacon
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1pound small purple potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1tablespoon vinegar (white or cider vinegar)
- 1/2cup diced Applewood smoked bacon (about 3 slices)
- 1medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4cup chopped green onions
Note: Adding vinegar to the pre-cooking liquid protects the potato’s pectin, the glue that holds vegetable cells together. The result is a potato that softens without falling apart.
- Place the potatoes in a large stock pot and pour over enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Add the vinegar and set the pan over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat. To the same pan, add the potatoes and bell pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender, stirring frequently. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the green onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 130
- Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 6mg
- Sodium 109mg
- Carbohydrate 22g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars <1g
- Protein 4g