- Yield: 4 servings
You can also bake these in the oven at 350°F until cooked through to your liking.
- 1pound ground meat or 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1tablespoon garlic powder
- 1tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1/4cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 1-2tablespoon coconut oil
- If using beans, grind them in a food processor until crumbly. If using fish, you can ask your fishmonger to grind for you or grind at home using same process as beans. If you don’t have a food processor, you can chop the beans or fish finely with a knife.
- Mix the ground protein together in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients up to and including the tamari, and shape into 4 large patties or 6 mini patties.
- Add the oil to your skillet and cook the burgers over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom, 3 to 6 minutes depending on protein. Flip the burgers over.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes, until brown or crisp. Serve immediately with traditional burger toppings or on top of a salad or in a lettuce wrap.
Images reproduced by permission of Kyle Books from Go with Your Gut: The Insider’s Guide to Banishing the Bloat with 75 Digestion-Friendly Recipes by Robyn Youkilis. ©2016 by Ellen Silverman. All rights reserved.