Heart-Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- Yield: 2 dozen
I come from a large family in Southern Indiana and the most prevalent health hazard for us is heart disease. So I came up with these healthy cookies. They taste good enough to feel like we're cheating, even when we're not.
- 1cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/2cup brown sugar substitute, such as Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2tablespoons buttery spread, such as Smart Balance Original, melted
- 2-- egg whites
- 1 1/2cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2cup dried fruit, such as cranberries or blueberries
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4cup chopped pecans, or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine yogurt, brown sugar blend and buttery spread in a bowl; mix until light and fluffy. Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into yogurt mixture. Stir in oats, dried fruit, cinnamon and pecans just until blended.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Press together and flatten with a fork for uniform baking. Bake 20 minutes. Cookies have a moist cake-like texture.
Recipe by Anne Crawford, Auburn, Ky.