Hena’s Finger Potatoes
- Yield: 8 servings
Delicious potatoes, which make a marvelous marriage with any kind of barbecued meat or fried chicken, are just as wonderful by themselves.
- 4teaspoons oil, divided
- 1/4cup raw cashews, broken into large pieces
- 1/4cup raisins
- 2pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick fries
- 2teaspoons hot pepper flakes or to taste
- 1teaspoon cumin powder
- 2teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1teaspoon mango powder, optional
- 2tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp (10 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Sauté cashews and raisins until cashews are golden and raisins are plump, about 2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining oil. Stir-fry potatoes to coat with oil. Spread in a single layer and cover. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir and spread into single layer again. Cover and continue to cook, adjusting heat to brown potatoes without burning, for 6 to 8 minutes longer. There should be a golden crust on most potatoes when done.
- Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes, cumin, salt and mango powder, if using. Add reserved cashews and raisins and sesame seeds. Toss well and adjust seasonings. Serve as a side dish or as finger food.