Herbed Pork Medallions with Asparagus Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
Rubbed with rosemary and parsley and roasted in a 400°F oven, this trim tenderloin is mouthwateringly moist and served atop a fiber-rich salad of crunchy carrots, asparagus, and greens.
- 1/2cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 pork tenderloin (12 ounces)
- 2large carrots, peeled and left whole
- 1pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1bunch radishes, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1package baby greens-and-herbs mix
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat large pot of water to boiling over high heat.
- Finely chop one-third of parsley. Rub chopped parsley and rosemary all over tenderloin and let stand while oven heats.
- Fill large bowl with ice and water. Add carrots to boiling water. Cook 5 minutes. With tongs, transfer to ice water. When cool, remove with tongs to cutting board. Add asparagus to boiling water. Cook 3 minutes or until bright green and crisp-tender. Transfer to ice water. When cool, drain well.
- Sprinkle teaspoon each salt and pepper all over pork. In 12-inch oven- proof skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until evenly browned, turning. Transfer to oven. Roast 8 to 10 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of pork registers 145°F; let rest 5 minutes.
- While pork cooks, cut carrots into 2-inch-long matchsticks. Cut asparagus into 2-inch-long pieces. In large bowl, toss carrots, asparagus, radishes, onion, greens, and remaining parsley with remaining teaspoon each salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon oil. Add vinegar; toss to combine. Divide salad among serving plates. Slice pork; arrange on top of salads.
Reprinted with permission from 400 Calorie: Italian by Good Housekeeping. Hearst, 2013.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 235
- Fat 8 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 62 mg
- Sodium 255 mg
- Carbohydrate 14 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Protein 26 g