- Yield: 16 servings
- 1/2cup golden raisins
- 1/3cup candied fruit, such as cherries, citron, orange peel, or lemon peel or a combination, chopped
- 1/4cup dried currants
- 1/4cup dark rum or apple juice
- 3 1/4-3 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup fat-free milk, warmed (105-115 degrees F)
- 1/3cup + 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3cup slivered almonds
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 large egg
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Combine raisins, candied fruit, currants, and rum in small saucepan and set over medium heat. Bring to simmer; remove saucepan from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Drain fruit, discarding liquid. Toss together fruit and 1/4 cup of flour in small bowl until coated.
- Combine milk, 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar, and the yeast in large bowl of electric mixer, stirring to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine 3 cups of flour, the remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar, the almonds, salt, and cardamom in medium bowl. Add flour mixture, dried fruit mixture, egg, butter, and vanilla to yeast mixture and beat on medium-low speed until sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface and knead, adding enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Spray large bowl with nonstick spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm place (80°–85°F), until indentation made with your index finger remains, about 11/2 hours (dough will not be doubled in volume).
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Punch down dough in bowl; let rest 10 minutes. Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface; roll into 9 × 15-inch oval. Fold dough lengthwise almost in half, allowing about 1 inch of bottom half to protrude. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm place (80°–85°F) until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove plastic wrap. Bake until stollen is lightly browned and sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, 25–30 minutes. Immediately sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe reprinted with permission from the Weight Watcher’s New Complete Cookbook.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 204
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated Fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 23 mg
- Sodium 14 mg
- Carbohydrate 35 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 12 g
- Protein 4 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Calcium 31 mg