Hot and Spicy Black Bean Chili
- Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2large red or yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 4cans (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2cans (14 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 3-- jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2teaspoons cumin
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1can (11 ounce) whole kernel corn, drained
- -- Sour cream or plain yogurt for garnish
- -- Shredded cheese for garnish
- -- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic. Saute for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the black beans, undrained tomatoes, jalapeno chiles, chili powder, oregano, cumin, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the corn and cook for 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt, shredded cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, Southern Grace, Recipes and Remembrances from The W, (Mississippi University for Women Alumnae Association, 2004)