Incredible Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Yield: 6 servings
'This soup is absolutely wonderful! It is a very pretty dish that tastes as good as it looks. It is always a big hit when I bring it to brunch get-togethers, church potlucks, or family events. Be sure to bring the recipe, because you'll be asked for it!'
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 3cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1-- (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1cup mild picante sauce
- 1-- (15-ounce) can ranch-style beans, undrained
- 1-- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8teaspoon paprika
- 2cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/4cup chopped cilantro
- -- Tortilla chips
- -- Sliced avocados
- -- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add broth, tomatoes, picante sauce, beans, corn and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle into soup bowls and top with tortilla chips, sliced avocados, and cheese. Serves 6.
Recipe by Sheryl Crumpton, Lindale, TX