Indian Spiced Fresh Tomato Soup
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 2tablespoons ghee or butter
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 inchcloves fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6large tomatoes
- 1teaspoon cumin seed
- 1teaspoon black mustard seed
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinamon
- 2cloves garlic, chopped
- 1pinch salt
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 serrano chile, seeded and minced
In a large sauté pan, melt the ghee over medium heat and sauté the onion for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the ginger and cook for 2 minutes longer.
Transfer the mixture to a 7-quart slow cooker and add the tomatoes, cumin, mustard seed, and cinnamon. Cover and cook on LOW for about 4 hours longer.
Just before serving, use a garlic press to mince the garlic into the soup, and add the salt to taste. Using a handheld immersion blender, puree the soup to the desired texture. I like to leave some texture.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each with cilantro, coconut, and a sprinkling of chile.
From 50 Simple Soups for the Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley/Andrews McMeel Publishing