Individual Vegetable Pot Pies with Sweet Potato Crust
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1large orange-fleshed sweet potato or yam (about one pound), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2cup diced white onion
- 1/2cup diced carrots
- 1/2cup diced celery
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1medium yellow squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2cup cooked jasmine rice (cooked without fat or seasonings)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the sweet potato in a medium saucepan and pour over enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Set the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the sweet potato is fork-tender. Drain and return the sweet potato to the pan. Add the milk and butter and mash until the mixture is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until the vegetables soften. Add the oregano, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant. Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the rice.
- Spoon the mixture into 4 individual, oven-safe bowls (add about 3/4 cup vegetable mixture to each). Spoon the sweet potato mixture over top (about one heaping 1/4 cup each) and smooth the surface. Transfer the bowls to a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the sweet potato topping is golden brown.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 232
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 284mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 11g
- Protein 6g