Inside-Out "Fried" Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
Transferring the cooking oil to the "inside," under the breading, means lots of flavor, less time over the stove, and less fat.
- 8-- pieces bone-in chicken (skin off): breasts, thighs or drumsticks
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1/2cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray sheet pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Place chicken in bowl large enough to hold all chicken. Pour oil over top; rub oil into all pieces; set aside.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cornmeal, and seasonings in large bowl.
- Dredge chicken through breadcrumb mixture.
- Arrange chicken on a large sheet pan so pieces don't touch. Bake about 40 minutes; turn once half way through the cooking. Internal temperature of chicken should reach 165F. Serve hot.
Cooking tip: Use only bone-in chicken pieces for this recipe since they retain their moisture and flavor best.
Shopping tip: Try different flavors of seasoned bread crumbs such as Italian, cheese, garlic, and herb-seasoned to see which you most prefer.
Lisa C. Peterson, MS, RD, CDN, Connecticut. Reprinted with permission from John Wiley & Sons, Inc. The American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 310
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1.5g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 445mg
- Carbohydrate 6g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 41g