Irish-Inspired Beef Pot Roast and Vegetables
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1-- boneless beef bottom round rump roast or beef bottom round (3 to 3 1/4 pounds)
- 2-- (24-ounce) packages vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, celery)
- 2-- (.75- to .88-ounce) packages mushroom or brown gravy mix
- 1/3cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1cup beer
- -- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Prepare pot roast vegetables: cut potatoes in half (or into quarters if large), onions into 1/2-inch wedges, and carrots and celery into 2-inch pieces; set aside.
- Combine gravy mixes, flour, salt and pepper in large bowl. Add vegetables to bowl; toss to coat well. Remove vegetables from flour mixture and place in 5 to 6-quart slow cooker. Add beef roast to bowl, turning to coat evenly with flour mixture. Remove roast and place in slow cooker in center of vegetables.
- Whisk beer into remaining flour mixture until smooth; add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 11 hours, or on HIGH 6 to 7 hours, or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Remove roast and vegetables. Skim fat from gravy. Carve roast into thin slices. Serve with vegetables and gravy. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Packaged pot roast vegetables may also be referred to as stew or soup vegetables. One and one quarter pounds carrots, 1 pound small red potatoes, 2 small onions and 4 small ribs celery may be substituted for packaged pot roast vegetables. Prepare as directed above.
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 318
- Fat 9g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 112mg
- Sodium 516mg
- Carbohydrate 17g
- Fiber 2.6
- Protein 39g