Jalapeno Butternut Mac & Cheese
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- 1tablespoon butter
- 3large jalapenos, stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2tablespoons whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1cup milk
- 1cup butternut squash puree
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 10ounces aged cheddar cheese grated or thinly sliced, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 375g box whole grain macaroni
- Cook pasta according to the instructions found on the box.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan. Add the finely chopped jalapenos and cook until as tender as desired, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until completely combined. Cook for another minute before slowly whisking in the milk. Bring up to a boil or until the milk has thickened.
- Stir in the butternut squash puree and bring back up to temperature.
- Once the mixture is hot, turn the heat down to low and add the salt and cheese. Stir until completely melted then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the macaroni and serve as is, or place in dish (or individual ramekins), top with extra grated cheese and a sprinkle of chopped or sliced jalapenos for some extra heat and broil until golden. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Heidi of FoodDoodles.com. A blog by a mom of 3 cooking and baking with minimally processed foods, especially fresh, seasonal fruits and veggies and whole grains. Heidi focuses on plant based dishes for the whole family, comfort foods made healthier, quick, easy and nutritious snacks for anyone on the go and of course the occasional treat!