Jalapeno, Lime, and Smoked Mozzarella Turkey Burger
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds ground turkey
- 1 jalapeno or 2 Tbsp finely diced jalapeno*
- Juice of 2 limes and zest** of 1
- 1tablespoon black pepper
- 1tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 4tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- Preheat outdoor grill (a George Foreman®-style grill may also be used).
- In a medium size bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients plus 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Make equal size burger patties and lightly brush with remainder 2 Tbsp of oil.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping once, or until an internal temperature of 165° F is reached.
- Top each with an equal amount of cheese and melt in a toaster oven or in oven on broil. Serve on a toasted bun. (If using George Foreman® grill, once cooked, unplug the grill and add cheese to the burger. Leave the grill open and allow the cheese to slightly melt.)
* When handling or cutting hot peppers, it is best to wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.
** To zest, hold fruit still and move a grating tool (e.g., zester, peeler, box grater) slowly back and forth across the peel. Be careful to remove only the outermost, colorful layer of peel and not any of the bitter, white pith beneath.
From Chef Aaron McCargo
For a complete list of Chef McCargo’s dialysis-friendly recipes, as well as fitness tips, videos and other information about staying active and maintaining a healthy diet on dialysis, visit FMCNA’s Healthy Lifestyles website. For more information about kidney disease and dialysis, call toll free at 1-888-325-5175.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 421
- Fat 23 g
- Saturated Fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 97 mg
- Sodium 344 mg
- Potassium 382 mg
- Carbohydrate 25 g
- Protein 28 g
- Trans Fat 0 g