Kale Mini Pizzas
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1cup cooked or steamed kale, squeezed dry and coarsely chopped
- 2cups marinara or prepared pasta sauce
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-grain English muffins, split (you can also use tortillas, pitas breads, or individual pizza crusts)
- 1/2 or morecup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Optional toppings: sliced olives, mushrooms, peppers, onions, pepperoni, or anything else that sounds appealing
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Place kale and marinara sauce in a food processor. Pulse until blended. You can leave the kale visible or, for picky eaters, you can puree the sauce until the kale is smooth.
3. Arrange muffin halves on a large baking sheet. Spread sauce on muffins.
4. Top muffins with cheese and optional toppings.
5. Bake until muffins are crisp and cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Kale © 2013 by Stephanie Pedersen, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.