- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 1/2tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4ounces 96% lean ground beef, such as Laura's Lean
- freshly ground black pepper
- 20leaves fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 1/2cups no fat, sodium, or sugar added chopped tomatoes, such as Pomi
- 1large zucchini, about 1 pound, cut lengthwise into ribbons 1/8 inch thick to make 8 ounces of ribbons
- 1cup skim milk
- 1 1/2tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 4ounces organic whole wheat, no boil lasagna, about 6 1/2 sheets, such as Delallo
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the ground beef with salt and pepper, and once the oil is smoking, add the beef to the skillet. Brown the beef on one side about 2 minutes, then break it up with a spoon and add half the torn basil, followed by the chopped tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook about 1 minutes. Set aside.
- Stack the zucchini in 4 equal piles, place each pile on a microwave-safe plate, and cook in the microwave on high for 1 minutes. Flip each stack over and cook on high for another minutes, then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk to a small bowl and mix with the arrowroot. Add the remaining milk to a small saucepot and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add the arrowroot mixture and whisk until thickened, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and add all but 2 tablespoons of the Parmigiano and whisk into the sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Spoon a thin layer of Bolognese sauce onto the bottom of a microwave-safe 8 x 8 x 4-inch dish, then place two lasagna sheets over the top, pressing down on the sheets until they break and naturally fit in the bottom of the dish. Add a thin layer of the white sauce on top. Place a third of the remaining basil leaves over that layer, then add a layer of zucchini ribbons on top. Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the previous layering sequence. Fill in any bare spots with half a sheet of pasta, breaking into pieces where necessary.
- Place the last 2 remaining lasagna sheets on top and spoon the remaining Bolognese over that; then cover the final layer of zucchini and basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining white sauce, then sprinkle with the remaining Parmigiano over the entire surface of the lasagna.
- Tightly cover the dish with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave on high until the pasta is cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and broil until brown, about 1 minute. Remove the lasagna from the broiler and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 equal pieces.
Recipe courtesy of Now Eat This! Italy With Rocco DiSpirito. To see Rocco create this recipe, click here.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 307
- Fat 9.5 g