Lemon Apricot Tea Bread
- Yield: 16 servings
This hearty, not-too-sweet bread is perfect for breakfast, toasted and spread with butter or cream cheese. Try adding chopped candied lemon slices in place of the grated lemon peel.
- 1 1/4cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
- 4-- bags English Breakfast tea
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1-- egg, beaten
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 2teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1/2cup dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk over medium until hot by not boiling; remove from heat and add tea bags. Cover and let steep 6 to 7 minutes; remove tea bags, gently squeezing out milk, and discard bags. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flours, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl, combine egg, oil, lemon juice and 1 cup milk tea. (Mixture will curdle slightly.) Add egg mixture to dry mixture stirring just until moistened. Fold in lemon peel and apricots.
- Spoon batter into bread pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, stir remaining milk tea with 2 tablespoons sugar. While bread is still in pan, brush tea-sugar mixture over top of loaf. Let cool in pan 10 minutes then remove to wire rack.
Recipe by Serena Ball, R.D.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 142
- Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 14mg
- Sodium 82mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 3g