Lemon-Cherry Olive Oil Cupcakes
- Yield: 12 pieces
- 1cup white whole wheat flour
- 1cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2-- eggs
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/3cup plus 1/2 c buttermilk
- -- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2cups fresh or frozen thawed cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 2tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine first five ingredients (flour through salt) in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Using a stand or handheld mixer cream together eggs and sugar (about one minute). Add 1/3 cup buttermilk and about half of the flour mixture. Beat at medium speed until combined. Add remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk, remaining flour mixture, almond extract, and the lemon zest and juice. Beat at medium speed until combined. Add olive oil gradually by pouring in a thin stream while mixer is still running. Turn off mixer and stir cherries into batter.
4. For topping, combine butter, oats and brown sugar in small bowl using clean hands. Keep doing this until the butter is distributed throughout and mixture resembles fine crumbs.
5. Place liners in a standard muffin tin. Divide batter equally among the 12 cups. Evenly distribute topping among 12 cups; gently press topping into batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, room temperature, or reheated with butter.